Planning Your Discharge from the Hospital
Case Managers are available seven days a week between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm to assist with your questions regarding insurance, Medicare, or Medicaid. The Case Manager will work closely with your physician to coordinate the care you receive while in the hospital and assist you in obtaining medical equipment after discharge. If special services are needed after discharge from the hospital, your Case Manager will arrange for home health, hospice services, or nursing home placement as appropriate and provide information or referrals to other community services.
Before going home, be sure to:
- Pack all of your belongings. Check around your room for any personal items. Be sure to check drawers, closets, and the bedside table.
- Ask your nurse to contact Security if you deposited any valuables in the hospital safe.
- Arrange to have transportation home.
- Talk with your physician(s) about home care, diet, bathing, medicine, dressings, and exercise. Check with your nurse to see if your physician left any special instructions for you.
- Ask your nurse for any instructions concerning your next doctor's appointment.
If you are taking a newborn home:
- The person driving you home may pick you up at the hospital's Main Entrance.
- Be sure to bring your infant car safety seat.