Good Samaritan Regional Health: Leading Heart Attack Care in Southern Illinois
- Faster than the national standard in treatment of heart attacks by more than 20 minutes
- The largest heart program in Southern Illinois, outside of Carbondale
- The regional heart center for emergency departments in the area
- Home to four interventional cardiologists
- STEMI protocols in place that have led to fast, quality heart attack care
Learn more about our Heart Services and our team of cardiologists.
Our Good Samaritan and St. Mary's Emergency Departments are:
- Staffed by experienced Emergency Department physicians trained in a full range of medicine, from trauma care to general pediatrics and adult medicine
- Designated ‘Stand-By Emergency Departments for Pediatrics’ by the Illinois Department of Public Health
- Expert in providing consistent, quality treatment in critical situations, following national standards for heart failure, stroke and pneumonia.
Also, Good Samaritan Regional Health Center is supported by board-certified specialists who consult on Cardiology, Neurology, Orthopedics, Plastic Surgery and Radiology patients.
Check out this infographic about when to go to Convenient Care vs. when to go the Emergency Room.
Emergency Preparedness for Disaster / Industrial Accidents
Our Mt. Vernon campus serves as the Regional Resource Facility of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) for nine counties in Southern Illinois. Leaders from our Emergency Department coordinate the development of plans, training, and emergency-preparedness drills throughout Jefferson County, including personnel from the hospital, the Fire Department, the Police Department, paramedics of area ambulance and helicopter services, and other key groups from the region. This established disaster plan includes protocols to provide treatment for increased numbers of victims including those with burn, chemical exposure/respiratory distress, and other traumas.
At Good Samaritan Regional Health Center in Mt. Vernon, the new hospital features a fixed decontamination room that is accessible from the outside and connects directly into the Emergency Department after the decontamination is complete.